Heartbroken mom speaks about dangers of protein shakes after death of her 25-year-old daughter

July 17, 2019  12:55

Michelle White from Australia decided to raise public awareness about the dangers of protein shakes after the sudden death of her 25-year-old daughter Meegan Hefford, New York Post reported

Meagan suffered from postpartum depression. Doctors prescribed her hormones, which caused the weight gain. Afterwards the girl was actively engaged in fitness, with a special diet containing protein shakes.

The woman has been involved in bodybuilding competitions, which required her to maintain a strict diet packed with protein before she died two years ago.

Once, Michelle noticed that her daughter’s hands were shaking. A few days later, doctors contacted her and said that Meagan had been found unconscious at home and was urgently hospitalized. Unfortunately, the life of a young woman could not be saved. It was found that she suffered from a genetic disorder that influenced how the body responds to protein foods.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) points to the risks of combining various food additives, as well as taking them without a doctor's testimony. Consumer Reports studies indicate that three servings of protein drinks can increase the level of toxins in the body.

“I don’t recommend using protein powders except in a few instances, and only with supervision,” Kathy McManus, a registered dietician, and director of the Department of Nutrition at Brigham and Women’s Hospital previously told Harvard Health Letter.

Follow NEWS.am Medicine on Facebook and Twitter

loading...

 
  • Video
 
 
  • Event calendar
 
  • Archive