A 65-year-old man in Nebraska died from the use of a smoking mixture in the US. He became the 15th victim of vaping in the country, NBC News channel reported.
The state's epidemiologist Dr. Tom Safranek said Monday that vaping-associated lung injuries were unreported and not tracked by public health agencies prior to the emergence of hundreds of cases across the country in recent weeks.
“On Thursday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 12 people had died from vaping-related lung illnesses. Since then, two deaths have also been reported in Oregon and North Carolina,” the source noted. “In all cases of the illness, patients have reported a history of vaping — either THC, nicotine or something else — and many experienced a combination of similar symptoms that look like a form of pneumonia: coughing, trouble breathing, chest pain, extreme fatigue, vomiting and diarrhea.”
In late August, a resident of Illinois died from smoking an e-cigarette. He had previously been hospitalized with a severe respiratory illness due to smoking vape, and then died. As later confirmed at the local department of public health, this death was the first recorded death from an electronic cigarette in the state.
In San Francisco, Michigan and California, a ban on the sale of flavored vape mixtures has already entered into force, and US President Donald Trump announced an imminent ban on their sale in the country, but it is not yet clear when it will take effect.