Four-and-a-half year old girl with Dilated Cardiomyopathy undergoes unprecedented surgery in Armenia

March 9, 2020  14:31

Four-and-a-half year-old Angelina was diagnosed with a heart disease referred to as Dilated Cardiomyopathy, which required immediate surgery, and there hadn’t been such a surgery in Armenia before.

On the night of March 8, doctors at Nork-Marash Medical Center placed a device referred to as “artificial left ventricle” in the child’s body. The surgery was performed by well-known heart surgeon Hrayr Hovakimyan, who is currently in Armenia, as well as Gagik Herobyan and his colleagues.

The surgery cost $100,000 (70% of funding was procured through fundraising in two days, and the remaining 30% was paid from the state budget by the order of Minister of Healthcare Arsen Torosyan).

Currently, the girl is in critical but stable condition. More informationa about the surgery will be reported later.

Follow NEWS.am Medicine on Facebook and Twitter

loading...

 
  • Video
 
 
  • Event calendar
 
  • Archive
 
  • Most read
 
  • Find us on Facebook
 
  • Poll
How much are you ready to pay monthly for health insurance?
7-10% of salary
10 000 AMD and more
Up to 10 000 drams
Up to 5000 drams
I don’t want to pay for insurance