Woman loses her finger, almost dies after scratch of cat

July 23, 2019  11:54

ATTENTION: The photos presented below may contain sensitive content

Moira Brady, 45, from the Scottish city of Glasgow, UK, lost her finger and almost died when a cat scratched her arm, Daily Mail reported

As a result of a fight with the homeless cat, Moira Brady developed deadly MRSA and Streptococcus A, which can cause serious bacterial infections.

“The doctors had to take half of my finger off and then took the rest of it off. The infection went right through my body. They said I could have died or lost my whole hand. The surgeon stayed five and a half hours after his shift to save my life and I had to have a blood transfusion. He said to me I was very lucky. The amount of people I've spoken to who couldn't believe this happened after getting a cat scratch. It's ruined my life. I can't do everyday things now like taking food out of the oven,” she said.

Moira spent a month in the hospital and had already had two skin grafts on her arm. Now she is preparing for the next surgery.

Follow NEWS.am Medicine on Facebook and Twitter

  • Video
  • Event calendar
  • Archive
  • Most read
  • Find us on Facebook
  • Poll
Do you trust traditional medicine?
Yes, I almost always resort to it if necessary.
There is probably something useful in it.
No, I trust evidence-based medicine.